Monday, December 26, 2016

A Very Yellow Christmas

Merry Christmas and happy holidays to all my dear readers! You know, I used to believe that the meaning of Christmas was to sell useless shit to people. And it's not hard to see why. In 2014 and 2015, the average Canadian spent around $900 in Christmas expenditures. To put these numbers into perspective - that's as much as the average Canadian spends on Dairy Products and Eggs.. in an entire year. And according to the World Food Programme, it would provide a starving Syrian food for 4 and a half years.

(The website claims that $50 would feed a person for 3 months. So I did a bunch of math things to come up with that.. less than scientific conclusion. Cut me some slack, I only have 42 more minutes to release this post).

Anyways, I still believe that. But with age, I've also come to realize it's about developing the maturity to give away things away for free - w/o being able to guarantee you'll recuperate the expenses. After all, what is the point of "giving" if you can expect an equal value in return? So I figured hey, why not give you all a gift you'd really like - another post on Jordan Peterson and Bill C16.

... Or at least I would have. But someone pissed in the metaphorical pool. This person (presumably) argued for unconditional free speech - but than turned around and engaged in an act of which I consider comparable to censorship. Now, as much as I would love to wring out this person for being the hypocrite that they are, a mutual acquaintance of ours requested for me to not to. And I have decided to respect that request. But I cannot just pretend that nothing happened. Than, if someone were to peruse through the archives of my blog - they may get the idea that I conceded the argument or something. So I want to make it very clear in this post that I still don't consider Peterson's position to be just a matter of free speech. I think there is something ugly which is deeply ingrained in his overall philosophy of the world.

Oh how I wish I could talk with you more. But I won't. Not this time. Maybe I will in a little bit. But if I do, I need ya'll to promise me you aren't going to be dicks to each other. It's never cool to strike below the comment section.

No comments:

Post a Comment